Metal braces are popular with children and teens, and are smaller and more comfortable than ever before. Traditional metal braces feature two main components: the brackets that are placed on each tooth and the arch wire that is threaded through them. As the wire applies pressure to one side of the tooth, the jawbone on the other side gives way. This causes the tooth to move and new bone to grow behind it. Elastics (rubber bands) are used in conjunction with braces, exerting a constant force to move teeth. Elastics must be worn at all times and changed every day in order to maintain the proper force.
Lingual braces work just like traditional metal braces, but are placed behind teeth instead of on the front. This allows them to be completely hidden, so no one knows that you are wearing them. Typically, anyone who could have traditional metal braces is also a good candidate for lingual braces.
The invisible way to straighten your teeth without braces. To discuss clear braces in the Hemet CA area, please feel free to contact us to schedule an appointment.
For information on Invisalign, please visit www.invisalign.com.
- Invisalign uses a series of clear removable aligners to straighten your teeth without metal wires or brackets.
- The aligners are made through a combination of Dr. Patel’s expertise and 3-D computer imaging technology.
- You wear each set of aligners for about 2 weeks, removing them only to eat, drink, brush, and floss.
- As you replace each aligner with the next in the series, your teeth will move — little by little, week by week — until they have straightened to the final position Dr. Patel has prescribed.
- You’ll visit Dr. Patel about once every 6 weeks to ensure that your treatment is progressing as planned.
- Total treatment time averages 9 – 15 months and the average number of aligners worn during treatment is between 18 and 30, but both will vary from case to case.